Organs of digestion

Digestion is the mechanical and chemical breakdown of food into smaller components that are more easily absorbed into a blood stream, for instance. Digestion is a form of catabolism: a breakdown of large food molecules to smaller ones.

In mammals, food enters the mouth, being chewed by teeth. Saliva contains 90% water, and the other 10% is made up of many enzymes with chemical processing beginning with substances in the saliva from the salivary glands.

Syndicate content
  • Recommend Us