Study, Research and Travel in India

Disciplines: History of India, Indian Studies, Hindi, Buddhist Studies, Sanskrit, Hindu Studies, Jain Studies, Sikh Studies
Curator(s): John McIntosh, stnefan andrzej, stefan, ziomal, andy
Started: Jul 9, 2012

Discussion on visa requirements, places to stay and visit, and getting things done in archives, libraries and government offices in India.

John McIntosh
Started by: John McIntosh
Research visa requirements for India

Obtaining a research visa from Indian authorities, especially if your research has the potential to be something controversial, can be incredibly difficult. You must be affiliated with an accredited Indian institution that will oversee your research. Since a Research Visa allows you to stay in the country for more than 180 days, you have to register with the Foreigner Registration Office (FRO) within 14 days. If you do not, you will face a new set of problems when you leave India at the airport. Most foreigners may not realize that there are three government bodies responsible for keeping an eye on those conducting research: 1. Foreigner's Registration Office 2. District Intelligence Bureau (in the same office as the FRO) 3. Intelligence Bureau (Delhi).

To make things easier, if you are in the United States, it is suggested to go through a reputable organization such as the American Institute for Indian Studies (AIIS). You can check out their research programs here: They award 35 fellowships every year, so it is a competitive process.

No Comments posted yet.
  • Recommend Us